The Danish Grandmother‘s Holiday Shortbread
She came to America by boat, by herself, at the age of 16. Her cookie recipe is apparently as hardy as she is.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- *2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
*I’ve learned from experience that flour measurements vary wildly depending on all sorts of things. Add 1 cup of flour, then keep adding 1/2 cups until the texture of the dough seems like, well, cookie dough. (My note, not the Danish Grandmother‘s.)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Cream butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually blend in flour and salt.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface to form and 11″ x 7″ rectangle, 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 1″ squares.
- Bake on unbuttered cookie sheets 12-15 minutes or until a pale golden color.
- Cool completely on wire racks. Store at room temperature in container with tight fitting lid.