- 2 cups grits (use the instructions on the box to cook them, usually 4 cups water for 1 cup grits plus butter and salt)
- 2 eggs
- shredded cheese (I used 1 cup American and 1 cup shredded Manchego, but other cheeses in varying amounts can be used too)
- 1 package of country style sausage (you can use bacon or shrimp as well, the amount can vary)
- *1 sauteed onion
- *1 small can of green chilies
- *1 small can of chopped jalepenos
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp of cracked black pepper
*use other vegetables in place of these if you want. This casserole is a good way to use up leftovers like corn, green beans, or tomatoes.
- Let the meat and veggies cool, then mix all of the ingredients except for the grits in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Fold in the grits and then pour the whole thing into a large glass baking dish. Bake for 45 min or until the center is “set up”; it should only jiggle slightly when you shake it. I also put cornflake crumbs and a little extra cheese on the top sometimes.
- Serve it to everyone except the guy with the heart condition. He might sue.